Discover Outside 2023
June 1—11, 2023
Start your summer off on the right foot with the Land Trust for Santa Barbara County and two weeks of discovery, exploration, and delight. Our lineup includes a special tap night, family-friendly activities, Treks, and other outdoor experiences to connect you to the land, your community, and your local Land Trust—we can’t wait to see you there!
We’re selling Discover Outside merch! Order online here to get yours.
We’d love to see photos of your Discover Outside adventures! Please tag us on socials at #discoveroutside or email your pictures to [email protected].
Please check back on this page regularly for the most current information. More details will be added in the coming weeks!
Thursday, June 1st
• Movie Night! Free community screening of Bringing Back Our Wetland at the Marjorie Luke Theater, Santa Barbara. Hosted by the UCSB Affiliates and the Cheadle Center for Biodiversity & Ecological Restoration. Movie starts at 7pm and will be followed by a panel discussion. Free reservations required in advance – click here to reserve your seats! To learn more about the event, visit UCSB’s website.
Friday, June 2nd
• The Coronado Butterfly Preserve celebrated its 25th anniversary in April! Monarch butterflies are known to fly up to 2,500 miles to reach their destinations. In honor of these determined beauties, we challenge you and your loved ones to go for a 2.5 mile or 2.5 block walk at Coronado, your choice! (*Please note this is a self-guided activity.)
Saturday, June 3rd
• Join us for Family Day at the Arroyo Hondo Preserve! We are offering multiple docent-led tours and a special guided sensory hike later in the afternoon. Go on a self-guided scavenger hunt, then visit our stream ecology station to learn about the creatures that inhabit our creek. Bring a picnic lunch to enjoy in the meadow! 10am-4pm. Free event, no reservations required in advance. Sorry, no pets allowed. Please visit our Arroyo Hondo page for more info about the preserve.
Sunday, June 4th
• Treks + Discover Outside: Join us for a Land Trust Trek at the Burton Mesa Ecological Preserve, Lompoc. 9am – 11am. Explore the wildflowers and native plants of this special protected habitat in Lompoc! Parking for this event is limited. Free reservations required in advance – sign up on Eventbrite to learn more details and reserve your spot!
Monday, June 5th
• Stock up on your outdoor adventure gear at Patagonia Great Pacific Iron Works, Ventura! They are giving Land Trust insiders 25% off entire purchase with this coupon. In store only – no online discount offered. 10am – 6pm.
• Treks + Discover Outside: Breakfast with the Land Trust, Ennisbrook Open Space, Montecito. 9am – 11am. Grab a cup of coffee and muffin, and enjoy a guided walk through Ennisbrook Open Space in Montecito. This Trek is rated as easy, with this 2-mile stroll through mostly shaded trails on even terrain. Bathrooms are not available.
Tuesday, June 6th
• Land Trust and Heal the Ocean Beach Clean-Up, West Beach, Santa Barbara. 9am -11am. Our group will meet to the right of Stearn’s Wharf. T-shirts, gloves, bags, and record sheets will be provided by Heal the Ocean. Please RSVP before the event with your headcount and shirt sizes. Click here to sign up on our Eventbrite page!
Wednesday, June 7th
• Treks + Discover Outside: Evening Stroll and Celebration of the Coronado Butterfly Preserve’s 25th Anniversary! Goleta, 6:30pm – 8pm. We will take a lovely evening stroll through Coronado Butterfly Preserve as we celebrate the 25th anniversary of this amazing butterfly sanctuary! This Trek is rated as easy, with a 1-mile loop on mostly shaded trails. There is steep terrain in certain parts of the trail. Bathrooms and water are not available.
Thursday, June 8th
• Celebrate the last day of school and chill out with some ice cream! SB locals – check out McConnell’s Fine Ice Creams in the Funk Zone and downtown Santa Barbara. Mention the Land Trust for $1 off of purchase. If you live in Buellton – go to It’s the Sweet Stuff between 12pm-8pm. Make sure to bring your coupon! Friends of the Land Trust will receive $1 off of purchase.
• Grab a pint or two with us at Figueroa Mountain Brewing Company! Funk Zone and Buellton locations, all day promotion. Show this coupon at checkout and $1 from each beer purchased will support the Land Trust.
• Need some new clothes? Visit J. McLaughlin in Montecito for a shop and sip day. 11am – 4pm. 15% of sales will go to benefit the Land Trust! Click here to see a flyer with more information.
Friday, June 9th
• Tune into Garden Gossip (1290 AM) at 11am to listen to a chat on native plants with Lisa Cullen of Montecito Landscape and the Garden Club of Santa Barbara.
• “Start with Art” event with the Santa Barbara Public Library. This art activity is intended for children ages 5 and under. We will create beautiful leaf rubbing artwork that you can hang and display at home. Explore leaves of different shapes, colors, and learn to identify different trees and parts of leaves. Meet us in front of the Art Museum between Anapamu St. and Figueroa St. 2pm-3pm. Free event, no registrations required.
Saturday, June 10th
• Treks + Discover Outside: Join us for a Land Trust Trek at Midland School in Los Olivos. 8am – 10am. We will take a moderate 3.5 mile hike on the Lover’s Loop Trail where we will see amazing wildflowers and scenic views of Grass Mountain! Parking for this event is limited. Free reservations required in advance – sign up on Eventbrite to learn more and reserve your spot!
• Summer Reading Kickoff with the Santa Barbara Public Library, Alameda Park, Santa Barbara. 11am – 1pm. No registration is required for this free event. Visit our booth for a children’s craft – create a “nature frame” and see the world from a new perspective.
Sunday, June 11th
• Treks + Discover Outside: Kids Draw Nature at the Carpinteria Bluffs 9am -11am. We invite families to join us, find inspiration in nature, and create some beautiful art! An optional stroll through Carpinteria Bluffs will be offered. Art materials will be provided – please bring a hard surface to draw on (clipboard, book, etc.) and a blanket to sit on. The optional walk is considered easy, with the Bluffs offering 3 miles of trails on mostly even ground. Trails are mostly exposed. Overflow parking and bathrooms are available at Viola Fields. No sign-ups are required for this free event.
• Shopping Day at REI, Santa Barbara. 10am – 7pm. Bring this coupon to get 23% off one REI Co-op Brand Item or Co-op Shop Service.
• Live streamed Kids Cooking Class hosted by Apples to Zucchini Cooking School. Join us virtually as we learn how to cook with seasonal, local produce. 4pm – 5pm. This event is free – link to come.
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, or contact the office for more details! (805) 966-4520.