On the occasion of our 30th birthday, we want to give YOU the gift of more preserved open space, ranches and farms!
We want to achieve 30 thousand acres in our 30th year—30/30. Ambitious? Yes!
We have a special opportunity for those who are willing and able to increase their giving level to $1,000– join our new Conservation Circle with a donation of $1,000 (or more!) AND take advantage of a 2:1 year-end match. This will TRIPLE your impact: at least $3,000 to be used from Santa Maria to Carpinteria! You also gain access to exclusive private property tours, hikes and other special events—including our spring 2016 Birthday Barn Dance!
If you are already donating $1,000 or more per year, simply increase your annual gift and it will qualify as well.
To inquire about your giving history, contact Membership Coordinator, Jennifer Stroh, [email protected] (805) 966-4520.
NEW TO MEMBERSHIP? WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN
You are an important part of our 30 year journey to protect the natural resources, working farms and scenic beauty of Santa Barbara County. For every dollar received, the Land Trust for Santa Barbara County spends
ninety-five cents saving land, restoring habitat and managing preserves and open spaces that allow us to connect with nature, embrace our local heritage and grow our food. With support from people like you, the Land Trust has protected nearly 23,000 acres of important coastal and rural lands.
Your regular contributions also show foundations and other Land Trust conservation partners how much our community believes in the benefit of our mission to protect irreplaceable natural lands. We need your support.
Click here to become a member by donating through Just Give, our online donation service.
If you prefer, click here to view and print our Membership Form.
Benefits of Membership
All members receive our newsletter, annual report, invitations and discounts to events featuring the places you help protect. Donors of $500 or more receive exclusive Land Trust note cards illustrated by local landscape artists—the special member levels below are determined each year by your annual gift:
We have introduced new recognition levels to honor the commitment of our most generous and consistent donors. Every single contribution matters, and every Land Trust donor receives invitations and discounts to our regular member events. We want to acknowledge the folks who help make even more conservation possible with the following levels determined each year by annual gifts or consistent giving history.
$5,000 and over or 20 years of support
May arrange a private tour for ten friends with a geologist or botanist at Arroyo Hondo Preserve; are invited to our Executive Director’s Luncheon; eligible to join property tours, special guided hikes and art events.
$2,500-$4,999 gift or 15 years of support
Invited to our annual Executive Director’s Luncheon; eligible to join property tours, special guided hikes and art events.
$1,000-$2,500 or 10 years of support
Eligible to join our annual property tour, special guided hikes and art events.
$500-$999 or 5 years of support
Eligible to join our special guided hikes and art events.
Five Ways You Can Help Protect Santa Barbara County’s Open Space & Farmland
- Support local farmers and ranchers.Buying local produce and meats in stores and at farmer’s markets helps to maintain our county’s farming and ranching economy.
- Encourage your local school or civic group to organize field trips to protected lands. The Coronado Butterfly Preserve, Carpinteria Bluffs, Arroyo Hondo Preserve and Carpinteria Salt Marsh are excellent places for children and adults to learn about our natural world.
- Volunteer for trail work, habitat restoration or docent programs.Your helping hands are needed for trail work or habitat restoration at Arroyo Hondo, Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park and Coronado Butterfly Preserve. Docents are also needed at Arroyo Hondo and Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park.
- Support the Land Trust. By becoming a member or renewing your membership, you can directly help conserve Santa Barbara County’s unique natural lands and working farms and ranches.
- Give to the Land Trust Endowment. By giving a donation of cash or property, now or by bequest, to our Endowment Fund, you directly help us preserve land and resources year after year.
Planned Giving & Our Endowment
• Bequests – The Land Trust has been remembered in wills through cash or property bequests. This is one of the simplest ways to make a future gift.
• Charitable Remainder Trust (CRT) – With a CRT, appreciated assets are placed in an irrevocable trust, which the trust may invest or sell to provide income to the donor for life. Ultimately, the assets become the property of the Land Trust, while providing current tax savings.
• Appreciated Assets – Appreciated assets such as real estate, stocks, bonds or securities can be donated and tax benefits realized from the donation without paying tax on capital gains.
There are many types of charitable gifts with substantial tax advantages. We encourage you to contact your professional tax advisor as to how best to structure a gift for your needs. The Land Trust, with the support of the Santa Barbara Foundation, can also help you learn more about these options. Call us at (805) 966-4520 for more information.
Want to give a meaningful gift? Give the gift of Land Trust membership! For a limited time, when current members gift a membership, both you and the membership recipient will receive a copy of A Field Guide to Common Plants of the Santa Barbara Foothills and Southern California by Land Trust supporters Hugh Margerum and David Powdrell. Learn more about gift memberships here.